Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I can't take credit for this recipe. I got it from a friend's blog and it's delicious so I thought I'd share it.

CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP

  • 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped
  • 1 1/2 T. olive oil
  • 2 T. minced garlic
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 2 T. chili powder
  • 5 14.5 oz. cans chicken broth
  • 3 c. frozen corn kernels
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 3 c. chopped onion
  • 2 1/2 T. lemon juice
  • 3 c. chunky salsa
  • tortilla chips and shredded mexican blend cheese for garnish

Place chicken and onion in a large pot and sauté until chicken is cooked through and onion becomes transparent. Add cumin and chili powder, then remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce burner to low and simmer for 30 more minutes.

To serve, crush tortilla chips into bottom of bowl, pour soup over top, and then sprinkle with cheese and more crushed tortilla chips. Serves 10-12.

I wanted my soup a little thicker, so I dissolved 3 heaping T. cornstarch in a little cold water (like making gravy from drippings) and slowly stirred it into soup that I had brought back up to a boil. Don’t do this until soup is done and you know the end consistency. Also, start by adding half the cornstarch mixture, check consistency, and add more if you’d like.

NOTE: This would work well in a crock pot. Throw raw, uncut chicken breasts into crock pot and cover with remaining ingredients. Leave on low while you’re at work and then when you get home take the chicken breasts out, shred, and add back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment