Thursday, June 24, 2010

Mexican Chicken


This is my sister-in-law's recipe, and my husband absolutely loves it, so I got it from her and made it tonight.

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts boiled
1 can family size cream of chicken soup
1 can cheddar cheese
1 bag Doritos Nacho Chips
shredded cheese (type and amount as desired)

Stir soup and cheddar together. Grease 9x13 and 8x8 pan, crush and pour chips in the bottoms of the pans. Shred cooled chicken by hand (removing fat, etc) and spread over chips until gone. Spread cheese mixture over chicken, covering completely to keep chicken from drying out. Spread shredded cheese over top and bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.



I chopped up and added a few veggies as well to make it a little healthier and a little more "adult" as I was serving a guest as well, they were: 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper, and the smallest onion at the grocery store (probably made about 1/4 - 1/3 cup). I added these and about a cup of cheddar and a cup of mozzarella into the cheese mixture. I also went ahead and shredded the chicken with a knife and added it right to the cheese mix so I knew it was well blended and I wouldn't have to worry about making sure the chicken didn't dry out.

I also (tried to) fit this all in one 9x13 pan and it didn't go well, it overflowed at about 30 minutes and I had to stick a large pan under the 9x13 one in the oven to keep it from getting all over the bottom of the oven. I also sprinkled two cups of "Mexican Blend" shredded cheese over the top.

Next time I make this, I plan on going with the 9x13 pan again but keeping some of it back and refrigerating or freezing it for quick microwave quesadillas.

This should easily feed 6-8 people, but my husband will eat it until he is on the verge of making himself sick, so it only feeds the two of us for 2 or 3 meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment