Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Chili



I know everybody knows how to make chili... But just for the inspiration of it all, I thought I would post it, since I did just make it the other night and happened to take a picture!

Brown 1 lb. hamburger... toss in some chopped onion flakes (they smell good). Drain, add a packet of chili seasoning and a can of chili beans. Then take your choice on how you want to add the tomato. I've used all of the following at one time or another:
tomato sauce
tomato juice
tomato soup
diced tomatoes
stewed tomatoes
fresh tomatoes
Rotel

Then, to spice things up a bit, you can always add more chili powder or a can of chopped green chili's. Leave a comment if you've got some great variations! Don't forget to heat up the ingredients and let it simmer at least a couple minutes... I like it as a leftover because the flavors blend together well overnight.

I always make this meal with the following sides:
corn bread
corn tortilla chips
shredded cheddar
peanut butter sandwiches (tastes great dipped in the chili)

3 comments:

  1. I forgot to mention this... but my husband and I also enjoyed eating the leftover chili on top of thickly sliced bread-machine bread with a boiled hotdog sandwiched in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made chili last night, and I added a cob of corn, two zucchini, and sauteed onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic. It made the dish very hearty; we like the extra veggies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lately, I've been using a can of Kidney Beans and a can of Pork 'n' Beans--I know it sounds strange, but it really adds a neat flavor to the Chili. Having half the meat be Turkey is a good way to vary it sometimes (and I think it's a little healthier). Getting a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies is good too, it adds some color without having big chunks of tomatoes if you're dealing with picky eaters.

    Also, it seems to be an "Iowa thing" to have Cinnamon Rolls with Chili, but if you haven't tried it, you should!

    ReplyDelete