Friday, October 16, 2009

Meat Spices and "Sneaky Cooking" Discussion

I recently received an email from "Kay" who asks the following questions. If you have any advice for her please list it here.

"Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for providing me with all the helpful tools that I need to actually cook in my kitchen! I am so very interested in getting all the instructions that you can provide so I can make a decent meal that someone will really eat. Keep all the recipes coming!

I am really interested in learning how to make meat dishes because I haven't a clue as to what spice(s) work best with what meats.

If you are into "sneaky" cooking then I would be interested in that also because I have a kid who will not eat vegetables!"

2 comments:

  1. I have not had any luck with "sneaky" cooking. Especially because my kids don't really care for casseroles. The only luck I have had is with dips. I'll cut fresh veggies into thin strips and give them ranch dressing or chip dip to eat with it and they seem to really go for that. My kids also seem to like lettuce salads. So I'll try to load the bowl up with small pieces of carrots, celery, gr. peppers, tomatoes, lunchmeat, hard-boiled eggs, cheese and of course: lots of ranch dressing. They will usually do well with that too, as long as I don't serve it to them too often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I have done is after boiling cauliflower, puree it and add it to other dishes they like (mac n' cheese). The taste of the dish doesn't change much and the texture will stay the same too so it's easy to sneak in!
    The advice Julia gave is great too - I often cut carrots into strips and call them carrot fries or something to make them more appetizing. Another thing that might work is to let your child make their own snack or lunch - just set out ingredients they may/have to use and let them do it how they want. To them it may be more inviting since they have chosen how to make their own sandwhich or something. Sometimes it takes a LOT of creativity to get kids to eat healthy!

    ReplyDelete